Team: Family Support Team
Location: The Square, 8 Woodhouse Square, Leeds, LS3 1AD
Time commitment: Every week. (around 4 hours across lunch time every Thursday or Friday, or Thursday 16:00 – 20:00)
Candlelighters provides financial, emotional and practical support to families affected by childhood cancer in Yorkshire. We support around 150 new families each year and our work ensures the whole family unit is supported in these extraordinary circumstances.
We support children and their families from diagnosis and throughout their journey, including financial support, practical help in hospital, much needed breaks, nearby accommodation during treatment at the Candlelighters Cottage as well as emotional and well-being support at our Family Support Centre (The Square) and in local communities across Yorkshire.
Purpose of the Role and Key Activities:
Families who have been affected by children’s cancer (including patients, parents, siblings and grandparents) can come to The Square for a coffee and a chat, as well as book and access a variety of support services, including:
- Wellbeing Services & Activities
- Specialist 1:1 Support
- Family Support Groups and Events
As a Front of House Volunteer you will support the Front of House Coordinators and the rest of the Team at Candlelighters with a variety of tasks including (but not limited to):
- Meeting and greeting families and other visitors
- Making drinks for families and visitors
- Answering the telephone, transferring calls and taking messages
- Making bookings and updating our database
- Keeping the reception area clean and tidy
- Keeping the kitchen, meeting rooms and other communal areas clean and tidy
- Cleaning and maintaining the coffee machine
- Setting up rooms for meetings and events
- Updating statuses on the Square Facebook page
- Assisting the Team with other tasks and activities as required
- Maintaining professional boundaries and adhering to Candlelighters’ policies and procedures.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have experience of working in a customer service environment
- Have excellent customer care skills
- Have the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- Are confident, friendly and approachable
- Have a fun and positive outlook
- Are experienced in working as part of a team
- Can remain calm under pressure
- Are proactive and able to use own initiative
- Are hardworking, reliable and organised
- Have good IT skills and experience of using a database
- Are able to move furniture (tables and chairs) and boxes
- Are able to climb multiple flights of stairs
- Are able to manage own emotions when working with families affected by childhood cancer
- Are able to maintain professional boundaries and follow Candlelighters Policies and Procedures.
This role is subject to an enhanced criminal record check, which is processed through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
We recognise that family members accessing Candlelighters’ services may wish to volunteer with Candlelighters. However, this particular role is not suitable for family members receiving support from Candlelighters. This is to ensure they are given the best possible care and support without any potential conflict of interest. Other volunteering opportunities can be found on our website.
Support and Benefits
You can expect:
- General induction training
- Role-specific training and induction
- Support from the Front of House Coordinator
- Support from the Volunteering Development Coordinator
- The chance to develop new and existing skills
- The opportunity to meet new people
- The opportunity to help Candlelighters support families affected by childhood cancer in Yorkshire
- Reasonable travel and other out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply, please complete the online Application Form.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview and successful interviewees will then be invited to attend training.
If you have any questions about this role, please email [email protected] or call the Volunteering Development Coordinator on 0113 887 8333.