At Candlelighters we are committed to protecting your privacy online. We protect any personal information you give us while you use our website.
This policy is written in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Privacy and Electronic Communication regulations 2003 and the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. If you have any questions about it, please contact us at email@example.com or call 0113 3229283.
This Privacy Statement applies to the candlelighters.org.uk website. By continuing to use this Website you are agreeing to the processing of your personal information in accordance with this privacy statement.
What information do we collect?
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. For example, it can include information such as your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number, fax number and credit/debit card details, as well as information relating to your health or personal circumstances.
We collect personal information from you when you ask about our activities, register with us, (eg registering for an event), order products (from our online shop) and services from us (such as publications and email newsletters), make a donation to us, fundraise on our behalf, or otherwise give us personal information.
We may also obtain personal information about you from other sources, such as if a family member or friend contacts us on your behalf, or if a fundraiser passes on your details to us. We may also combine your personal information with other information we collect from third parties (eg for fundraising purposes from an online giving page).
Candlelighters treats your contact with us as confidential unless there is a risk of serious harm or abuse to you or someone else. In this instance, we may have to pass this information onto a third party such as the emergency services.
How do we use your information?
We use your information in the ways set out below.
- We use your personal information to give you the information, support, services, or products you ask for.
- We use your information to gain a full understanding of your situation so we can develop and offer you the best possible personalised services.
- We use your information for internal administrative purposes (such as our accounting and records), and to let you know about changes to our services or policies.
- We use your information to fulfil our regulatory obligations in relation to the payments and donations we receive.
- We use your information to administer contests and competitions we may run.
- We use your information to carry out statistical analysis, system testing and research to help us review, develop and improve the products and services we offer.
- We may use your information to send you communications about our work and how you can help us to help you, for example, information about our campaigns, volunteering and fundraising activities, where you have agreed. We will always ask you for consent to do this and you will have the option to choose how you would like to be contacted (e.g. by phone, post, email or text). If you change your mind at any time you can let us know via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0113 3229283.
- We may combine your information with other information (for example, from public records or on social media) and create a profile of your interests and preferences. We do this to help us determine whether and in what ways you might be interested in helping us or getting involved in our activities.
- We use your personal information to look into, and respond to, complaints, legal claims or other issues.
- We use your personal information to claim Gift Aid on your donations.
- We use your information to prevent fraud and money laundering.
- We may also use your personal information for other purposes which we specifically notify you about and, where appropriate, obtain your consent.
Who do we share your information with?
We will not sell your details to any third parties. We may sometimes share your information with our trusted service providers who are authorised to act on our behalf, this includes organisations who fundraise on our behalf. This includes our e-bulletin provider, Mailchimp. For more information see Mailchimp’s privacy notice. We will ensure that a sufficient guarantee about their security measures is in place, as well as a written contract to confirm this.
We may share information with our financial and legal advisers for the purposes of obtaining advice and protecting our legal rights. Again, we will ensure that a sufficient guarantee about their security measures is in place, as well as a written contract to confirm this.
Candlelighters are responsible for collecting your personal information.
When we collect your personal information we use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access. However, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. As a result, while we try to protect your personal information, Candlelighters cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us online and you do so at your own risk.
Information we receive from other sources
We may carry out targeted fundraising activity to ensure that our communication with you is as relevant and timely as possible and provides you with the best possible experience of supporting Candlelighters. In doing so we may supplement what we know about you with information from third party sources to help us better understand your background and ensure that any communication is tailored to you and how you might support us in the future. This also helps us not to send irrelevant or inappropriate communications to our supporters, so that we can operate as cost effectively as possible.
We may use profiling techniques or third party insight companies to provide us with general information about you. Our suppliers will not share your information with any other organisation, and it will only be used for the purposes set out above. You can opt out of your data being used for profiling by contacting email@example.com.
Other people’s information
If you provide us with someone else’s personal details (for example when creating a tribute page) you must make sure that you have that person’s consent (or their next of kin consent) to provide us with their details, particularly if you’re giving us sensitive information about an illness or health condition.
The Candlelighters website may include links to other sites, not owned or managed by us. We cannot be held responsible for the privacy of information collected by websites not managed by us.
If you’re 16 or under
If you’re aged 16 or under, you must get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information on the Website.
Accessing and updating your personal information
You can request access to any information we hold about you by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of the Charity Director.
Equally, please let us know of any changes to ensure are records are accurate.
You have the right to request erasure, the right to restrict processing, the right to data portability and the right to object, your request(s) should be made to email@example.com for the attention of the Charity Director. We can also provide a full copy of our data protection policy upon request.
You have the right to change your mind about consent at any time and can let us know via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling 0113 3229283 or by writing to: Candlelighters, 8 Woodhouse Square, Leeds LS3 1AD. We promise to complete all requests within 7 days of receipt.
If we have your consent to contact you, but we do not hear from you for a two year period to refresh that consent then we will stop contacting you, assuming we no longer have consent to do so.
Changes to this policy
This policy was last updated May 2018.
If you have any comments or queries concerning the website or our services please email us at: email@example.com or call 0113 3229283.
If you have any concerns about our use of personal information you should write to: Charity Director, Candlelighters, 8 Woodhouse Square, Leeds LS3 1AD.