Team: The Fundraising Team
Location: Most events are currently in Bradford, Hull, Wakefield or York however we welcome applications from volunteers throughout Yorkshire
Time commitment: Evening/weekend events ad-hoc as they come up in your local area and dependent on which you can attend.
Candlelighters provides financial, emotional and practical support to families affected by childhood cancer in Yorkshire. We support around 150 new families each year and our work ensures the whole family unit is supported in these extraordinary circumstances.
We support children and their families from diagnosis and throughout their journey, including financial support, practical help in hospital, much needed breaks, as well as emotional and well-being support at our Family Support Centre (The Square) and in local communities across Yorkshire.
Purpose of the Role and Key Activities
Volunteer Ambassadors represent Candlelighters at functions and events throughout Yorkshire. They help us to reach a wider audience and have a wider presence throughout the region. They help to raise awareness and encourage individuals and groups to support our work.
The role of an Ambassador is varied, but activities may include:
- Representing Candlelighters at events and functions
- Delivering talks and presentations about Candlelighters
- Attending cheque presentations (including taking part in photographs where required)
- Receiving donations on behalf of Candlelighters
- Running information and fundraising stalls
- Promoting ways people can get involved, either as supporters or volunteers
- Researching potential awareness raising or fundraising opportunities in the local area
- Supporting with other fundraising events and activities where possible.
We require volunteers who:
- Have knowledge or awareness of the work of Candlelighters (or willingness to learn)
- Are able to attend events in your local area, be it Bradford, Leeds, Hull, Wakefield, York or the North/South/East Coast of Yorkshire (if you’re happy to travel outside your local area too let us know)
- Are available to attend approximately one event a month (evenings/weekends)
- Are experienced at and comfortable with giving presentations and talking to groups of people
- Are passionate and enthusiastic about our work
- Have good presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Have the confidence and ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- Can talk and answer questions about Candlelighters with confidence and sensitivity
- Are organised, reliable and trustworthy
- Are polite, friendly, approachable and personable
- Are able to work independently and use their own initiative
- Have basic IT skills
- Are able to remain professional, manage own emotions and separate own personal views and perspectives
- Are willing to attend initial and ongoing training as required
- Are willing to attend quarterly Ambassador meetings
- Are professional with smart appearance
- Will adhere to Candlelighters’ policies and procedures.
This role is subject to an enhanced criminal record check, which is processed through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Support and Benefits
You will receive:
- General induction training
- Role specific training and induction
- Ongoing training as required
- Support from the Community Fundraising Team
- The chance to develop new and existing skills
- The opportunity to meet new people
- Candlelighters T-shirt and ID
- The opportunity to help Candlelighters support families affected by childhood cancer in Yorkshire
- Reasonable travel and other out-of-pocket expenses reimbursed.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply, please complete the online Application Form.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview. Successful candidates will be required to attend training before commencing the role.
If you have any queries, please contact Drew Richardson (Volunteer Development Coordinator) on [email protected] or 0113 887 8333.