Have you or your family been personally affected by childhood cancer? Would you like to help expand our network of informal support for previous patients and family members who’ve had similar experiences? Are you based in Bradford, Goole, Halifax, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Scarborough or Wakefield?
If so, we’d love you to join our amazing team of Family Network Volunteers.
Purpose of the Role
Candlelighters Family Network is an informal network of support for family members and previous patients who have personal experience of childhood cancer.
The network is made of up of informal social events, groups and activities (organised by volunteers) for family members and previous patients to meet and support one another.
“Nobody really understands what it is like to be affected by Childhood Cancer until it happens to you…. Talking to others who have been there and “Get it” is amazing. The Network is time for me to talk, unload, relax and recoup. It is time for me to be me.”
Family Network Volunteers are family members or previous patients who have personal experience of childhood cancer, who organise the informal social events, groups. The activities vary but could include a walking group, curry night, meet up in a coffee shop, community centre, soft play centre or anything else the group may wish to do.
Family Network Volunteer Requirements
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have lived experience of childhood cancer and the effects it has on everyday life both physically and psychologically
- Able to attend 2 induction training days
- Are able organise at least 6 informal groups and attend 3 working groups a year
- Have good planning and organisational skills
- Are confident, friendly and approachable
- Are comfortable sharing their own experiences (where appropriate)
- Have good listening and communication skills
- Are empathetic
- Understand confidentiality
- Are proactive, able to work independently and use own initiative
- Are able to understand and maintain professional boundaries and follow Candlelighters Policies and Procedures.
Support and Benefits
You will receive:
- Training and induction
- Support from Family Network Coordinator
- The chance to develop new and existing skills
- The opportunity to meet new people
- Reasonable travel expenses reimbursed
How to Apply
If you would like to apply, please complete the online application form.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.
If you have any questions about this role, please call Carly Tordoff, Family Support Manager on 0113 322 9283 or email email@example.com.