We're in need of volunteers for the Great North Run!
Date: 13th September 2020
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne and South Shields (Exact location will depend on role)
Time: Exact times TBC
Event Details: Great North Run
Number of volunteers required: 10
Registration deadline: 26th July 2020
Purpose of the Role
Officially the world’s biggest half marathon, the Great North Run takes runners on a 13.1 mile route from Newcastle’s city centre to the coast in South Shields. We have got an amazing team of runners talking part in the race to raise money for Candlelighters. We are looking for an equally fantastic team of volunteers to help make the day really fun and exciting and a huge success for everyone involved.
Volunteer Roles: We are looking for volunteers to help in the following ways:
- Cheerers: Wearing our T-shirts, banging our cheering sticks and making lots of noise to help encourage and motivate our runners along the route
- Photographer: To take photos of our runners and supporters (professional experience preferred)
- Sports or massage therapist: Qualified and insured To provide massage treatment for our runners
We are looking for fun and friendly volunteers who:
- Have lots of energy and enthusiasm
- Have great communication and people skills
- Can work well as part of a team and on their own.
- Are prepared to volunteer outside and be on their feet for long periods of time
- Are flexible and willing to volunteer in different roles, as required.
- Are at least 18 years old (cheerers can be under 18, but will need to be accompanied by an adult).
Please do also let us know if you have any specific skills or experience you think might be useful, for example, photography, sports massage, marshalling/stewarding, etc.
Support and Benefits
You will receive:
- A Candlelighters T-shirt.
- Briefing and support from Candlelighters’ Community Fundraising Team (or Event Organisers)
- A fun and rewarding day out
- The opportunity to meet new people, including other Candlelighters volunteers and supporters
- The opportunity to gain new skills and develop existing skills
- The opportunity to be part of a fantastic team, all helping to make a difference to children and families affected by childhood cancer in Yorkshire.
To Sign-up as a Volunteer:
Please complete the short registration form at https://www.candlelighters.org.uk/event-volunteer-registration-form/ no later than 26th July 2020. After this date, a member of the team will be in touch with further details.
If you wish to volunteer alongside friends or family members, make sure each person registers and let us know their names so we can try to put you together when possible.
If you are an existing volunteer, please email email@example.com or call 0113 887 8333.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
If you’re interested in being a Challenge Event Volunteer but can’t make this event, or you’re interested in other volunteering opportunities at Candlelighters, you can find more at:
Candlelighters provides financial, emotional and practical support to families affected by childhood cancer in Yorkshire. We support around 150 new families each year and our work ensures the whole family unit is supported in these extraordinary circumstances.
We support children and their families from diagnosis and throughout their journey, including financial support, practical help in hospital, much needed breaks, nearby accommodation during treatment at the Candlelighters Cottage as well as emotional and well-being support at our Family Support Centre (The Square) and out in the community.