Front of House Volunteer
The Square, 8 Woodhouse Square, Leeds, LS3 1AD
Every Thursday, 4-8pm
Purpose of the Role and Key Activities
Families who have been affected by children’s cancer come to our Family Support Centre, known as The Square, to access a variety of support services. To ensure we can support as many families as possible, we have extended opening hours on a Thursday evening – we’re looking for a volunteer to join the team and support our Family Support Coordinator make sure families feel welcomed and supported while at The Square.
- Making drinks for families and visitors
- Answering the telephone, transferring calls and taking messages
- Making bookings and updating our database
- Keeping the reception area clean and tidy
- Setting up rooms for meetings and events
We are looking for a volunteer who:
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have experience of working in a customer service environment
- Are confident, friendly and approachable
- Have a fun and positive outlook
- Are proactive and able to use own initiative
- Have good IT skills and experience of using a database
- Are able to move furniture (tables and chairs) and boxes
- Are able to climb multiple flights of stairs
- Are able to maintain professional boundaries and follow Candlelighters Policies and Procedures.
This role is subject to an enhanced criminal record check, which is processed through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
We recognise that family members accessing Candlelighters’ services may wish to volunteer with Candlelighters. However, this particular role is not suitable for family members receiving support from Candlelighters. This is to ensure they are given the best possible care and support without any potential conflict of interest. Other volunteering opportunities can be found on our website.
Support and Benefits
- Thorough induction & training to give you the confidence to perform your role well and to the best of your ability
- Opportunity to develop new and existing skills to help you beyond your involvement with Candlelighters
- Ongoing support from the Family Support and HR teams
- The opportunity to meet lots of new, friendly people
- The opportunity to expose yourself to new experiences
- Certain expenses to be reimbursed as agreed with your Volunteer Supervisor, in accordance with our Expenses policy
- Regular reviews with your Volunteer Supervisor to help you develop in your role
- Satisfaction in knowing you are making a valuable contribution to supporting children and families affected by childhood cancer
- We can be a reference once you’ve volunteered for three months
- Access to a 24/7 mental health hotline
- Charity Worker Discount card
- Access to The Company Shop
How to Apply
Please email a copy of your CV to to [email protected] and we will send over a copy of our Application form. Alternatively, please complete the application form online (linked below) and we will get in touch.
Successful applicants will be invited to attend an informal interview.
To read the role profile, click here.
To complete the application form online, please click here.
Please get in touch with the HR and Volunteering Team if you have any questions about the role or application by emailing [email protected] or calling 0113 322 9283.